This report was updated on Wednesday 26th April 2017 for deliveries 1st - 4th May 2017
Monday - Wednesday Delivery: Order by 4pm Friday for priority supply.
Monday - Wednesday Delivery: Order by 4pm Sunday.
Thursday Delivery: Order by 9.30am Monday.
Some things are worth the wait !
If you find you have missed the Cut-off's simply call our office - of course we will do our best to fill an order for you if we can : )
PRODUCE SPECIAL : Fuji Apples - 1kg or more $9.00 per kilo coming from Forest Orchards in SA.
GROCERY SPECIAL : Pureharvest - Rice Cakes with Quinoa (150gm) $2.05 each...usually $2.75 each
These simple and delicious Thin Quinoa Rice Cakes are crisp, crunchy and light, while still packed with the full flavour and health benefits of organic brown rice and quinoa. Enjoy them topped with your favourite foods for a light meal, use them as a base for a bruschetta variation or spread them with your favourite nut butter for a quick snack. Gluten Free. 96% Fat-Free. Vegan. No Cane Sugar.
- Another public holiday behind us....well almost...it's always a little difficult when we ask you to order again before some of you have even received this week's order. Not to mention most of us have an empty fridge from our non-delivery last week. The good news is that next week all will be back to normal in terms of delivery days. The main worry for the week ahead is the uncertainty with produce due to the deluge being experienced in VIC. As many of you know, after recommending the Grapes from Jesmond, they were unable to be picked due to the heavy rain. Thankfully Robinvale and Borderland were able to supply our needs this week. Grapes are approaching end of season - 4 weeks will completely see them out....with all the rain, it is now likely that even Jesmond's Crimson's will have some discolouring on the stems...Know what to expect. It is also time for us to give the Green Grapes away for the season....I'm sure you will all agree they have been very good this season - just not around long enough : ) Jett tells me that if you close your eyes you actually can't tell the difference between red and green grapes...so for those of you who only like green, you could try them with eyes closed. LOL.
- Apples from Forest Orchard have not disappointed in the flavour department...but.... are not as beautiful as usual. Unfavourable weather at a crucial point of development has resulted in most apples this year having some skin marks. The good news is that these marks are only skin deep. Fuji are absolutely delicious....and Graeme's famous Granny Smith are also now available. Red Delicious will be the next cab off the rank.
- The first of the Imperial Mandarins have had great flavour for first pick and will sweeten as we move further into the season. Unfortunately Bonita's Navelina Oranges are still not ready.....arrhhhh...We will continue to offer 'old season' Valencia from Fatgoose and Kambarra until the new season Oranges are ready. The Valencia are 'ok'...but certainly not great. They have been off the trees for quite some time now and are spongy to the touch. Know what to expect. Remember to refrigerate your Oranges as soon as possible, if left at room temperature the oranges will deteriorate at a very fast rate.
- New season Kiwifruit is available from both Kiwi Down Under and Comboyne - both rock hard ! We will wait another week or so before adding them to our list - they always start rock hard and then we all watch them ripening in our kitchens for the next month. For those of you hanging out - hang in there - it won't be long now.
- Lemons, Ruby Grapefruit, Passionfruit (although a little wrinkly), Pears - Bosc in particular, Persimmons, Rhubarb, Honeydew Melon and Custard Apples were excellent this week.
- Another casualty of the Vic weather were our Beans from Tim Hamilton, thankfully we were able to get Beans from Busch Organics....flavour is great, although they are much smaller and a little curlier than the glamour beans we have been supplying over the last month or so....Supply could be similar for next week as at this stage we are unable to confirm if Tim will have Beans for us.
- New season QLD Broccoli was again a little fluffy this week, although an improvement on the week before - this is a direct result of the Broc being a Winter variety - grown in conditions that are a little too hot - this problem will correct itself over the next few weeks. Until then, know what to expect. Keep in mind that Gary & Kathy leave quite a bit of stem on their broc - Don't discard. Potato peel, as the skin around the stem can be quite thick and cook as you would the flowerette. We personally peel the thick stem of broccoli and then slice into discs.
- Cauliflower was again on the 'very small' side being so close now to the end of the Victorian season it is unlikely the will get any bigger from here until the QLD Cauli's start in approx 2 weeks. Until then all we can offer you are extremely pricey, small Cauli's that are randomly affected by insects and/or some discoloration.
- Celery from Helps Rd and Peninsula is now having some problems with browning leaves and in some cases have the centres cut out - this is happening on farm....good news is flavour has been good and bunches crisp. Keep in mind a droopy bunch of Celery can easily be revived. Simply re-cut the stem and submerge in water. The recovery will be nothing short of miraculous!
- Quality Tomatoes....are in short supply as they are each year at this time. Thankfully, Shane looks after us on tomatoes each week of the year....but 'nightmare' season is approaching as Shane's tomatoes will really slow up now due to the cooler weather. We have not been short on fruit to fill our orders...yet...but we always know that there is a real possibility of being short...We also see fruit that at other times of the year would not make it into 'first quality' boxes....as well as fruit that is a little greener than we would usually like. Bear with us...this shortage on tomatoes is going to be a problem for at least the next month.
- It's hard to believe but the end of the Onion and garlic season is upon us once again...this can result in the veg beginning to want to grow again under the right conditions. Store in a well ventilated, cool area of the kitchen. If your onions or garlic do start to sprout, it is still fine to eat. You can remove the sprout if you prefer, otherwise simply cut up, sprout and all ! Garlic price will start to climb in the next few weeks as demand is now far outweighing the available supply.....this forces the price up, while the quality of the garlic is deteriorating....
- Gold Beetroot, Dutch Carrots, Red Capsicum (still on grower special), Lebanese Cucumber & Carrots, Rainbow Chard, Kale - Baby Green in particular, Corn, Eschallots, English Cucumber and Squash were great this week. Locally grown Collards, Baby Endive and Locally grown Turnips now available from Rachel....and Charlie's locally grown Asian Vegetables now also available.
- Due to the cooler weather we are experiencing an egg and milk shortage. We will have enough of both in total numbers to supply all orders...but we may sub to a brand you have not ordered. If you are wanting the brand of eggs or milk you have ordered or nothing at all please advise.
- We have updated our website with the most up to date and accurate information available to us at this time, but due to weather conditions there is of course some uncertainty with our expected supply. The good news is that we have quite a few supply options available to us and so may list a Grower on our site that does not end up supplying us goodies this week. Rest assured we only deal in Certified Organic fresh Fruit & Vegetables and so if the origin of the goodies we supply to you changes the organic status will not.
- Did you know we have Recipe Packages, also simply known as Meal Inspiration for those of us preparing dinner for the fam each evening...Head to our Meal Inspiration Page to find this week's selection of Recipe inspirations. We know you all have things in your pantry like Olive Oil so with our packages you can simply add the package to your cart and then delete any goodies you don't require. So simple !
RAW GOAT MILK SUPPLY..
.as with each year at this time, the supply of Raw, Unpasteurised Goats Milk is really tight. If you are relying on this product can I suggest you slip a few into your freezer now.
...in many cases the Milk we offer you needs to be pre-ordered at our end a week in advance. Most of the time our guess- timates are spot on...but we have been caught out on the odd occasion. We do have a number of Dairy options available to us and so if we run short on some varieties, we may look to others to fill the gap. If you would like us to supply ONLY the milk you have ordered or nothing at all, please make a note with your order.
PLEASE RETURN OUR POLY BOXES and ICEBLOCKS
We pick up all boxes that we deliver in and ask that you keep them clean and dry for a week so that we can swap them with the empty boxes when making your next delivery....If our drivers are not picking up your empty boxes please lettuce know. The Gel pack Iceblocks that we are supplying you are also a considerable cost to our business if they are not returned as are the poly boxes. Please leave out for collection with your next order. We will also collect any packaging material we may supply you including egg cartons, plastic boxes, bubble wrap etc. - simply leave inside your returning boxes.
CREDIT CARD PAYMENTS
As you know, we charge your credit card for your delivery total on the day of or day after your delivery. Please ensure that we have your up to date credit card details and that there are sufficient funds available on the day of your delivery for us to process your payment.