This report was updated on Wednesday 27th July 2016 for deliveries 1st - 4th August 2016
Monday - Wednesday Delivery: Order by 4pm Friday for priority supply.
Monday - Wednesday delivery: Orders accepted up until 4pm Sunday.
Thursday Delivery: Orders accepted up until 9.30am Monday.
Some things are worth the wait !
If you find you have missed the Cut-off's simply call our office - of course we will do our best to fill an order for you if we can : )
- ...it's hard to believe, but the end is in sight for Imperial Mandarins for another season : ( I am sure you will all agree they have been delicious....although a little larger than we would usually choose this season. Could I suggest storing this week's fruit in the fridge to prolong life...Daisy Mandarins will be available over the next few weeks followed by Honey Mercott which will be the last variety available before the close of the Mandarin season for this year.
- ...thinking of items that need to be stored in the fridge - brings Apple and Pears to mind. Packham Pears from Linton Greenwood are now showing their age with wrinkling around the caylic. Don't let this put you off - the fruit itself is still really sweet and texture is still good...
- Apples are also remarkably good for being so late in the season, they will soften, or slightly wrinkle if they are left in the fruit bowl for an extended period....it's hard to believe that another Winter fruit season is coming to an end ! Pick is definitely Fuji. Pink Ladies are also pretty good, although as we move further into the season they bruise more easily than when they are first picked from the trees. Red Del and Golden are now what we consider 'soft' and the Grannies are feeling a little slippery as they are producing their own natural coating to prolong their life. Rest assured this slipperiness is not wax...post - harvest waxing of apples is not allowed under the National Organic standard for Organic production.
- Grapefruit - both Yellow and Ruby, Strawberries, Hass Avocadoes, Kiwifruit, Lemonade Fruit (although pretty ugly), Navel Oranges, Passionfruit and Tangellos (although on the very large side) have been great.
- Sorry about the lack of Beans this week - they were a late scratching from the site as we received word that the beans were simply not big enough. Sadly, also unavailable week starting Monday the 1st of August.
- ...Dutch Carrots will also be a scratching for the next week or two as Tim Burrell takes a well deserved holiday.
- 2 weeks will also see the return of Wild Rocket PP from Coolibah Herbs.
- Paul has been in touch to lettuce know that his Iceberg is still on the smaller side (likely to remain 2 for 1 for next week) Herbs are also on the smaller side - know what to expect. Radish on the other hand has been excellent. Jo's lettuce is also quite small - pick this week is Mini Cos or Salad Mix coming from Pim Mens in QLD.
- As many of you know from past seasons, Winter tomatoes are never fantastic and certainly no comparison to full flavoured Summer fruit. We are seeing some random problems, which is not unusual for this time of the year, as it is a direct result of the fruit taking so long to ripen. Pick of the available fruit is definitely Roma or in the Cherry Tomato department - Mini Roma & Round.
- ...and just when we thought the Onions were on a downhill slide - K Produce has started their late NSW season. Woohoo - Order with confidence. Both Gold and Spanish were amazing again this week - still with a potential to sprout - these onions are much firmer than the onions we have been supplying over the last few weeks. Sadly, nothing has changed with our supply of Garlic which is also wanting to grow again - some bulbs are now splitting, resulting in us supplying you cloves...and some cloves are now a little discoloured. Some cloves are also 'coming to life' under the right conditions. Good news is that the flavour is good. Ironically, as we approach end of season and the worst garlic we have seen - the price increases. This is a direct result of supply and demand - and there is very little available garlic on the market. New season will start in September.
- Veges (although prices are climbing) in general have been outstanding. Bok Choy & Fennel from Charlie, Sweet Potato from Ken Small, Cabbage - both Green & Red from Harm and Pim, Broccoli & Cauliflower from Garry Harm, Lebanese Cucumber from Shane & Sun Up, Celery from Shane, Weier & Black Crow, Collard Bunches, Baby Rainbow Chard Leaves (on Grower Special this week) & Rainbow Chard bunches from Rachel, Yellow Capsicum and Globe Artichoke from Caffra, Corn from Nature's Haven and Pinnacle (although husks are a little dry), Salad Mix & Shallots from Pim Mens & Red Capsicum from Shane were excellent this week.
- With climbing prices in mind - Certified Organic Meat is next on the agenda. As many of you will already know, the price on Beef and Lamb in particular has been steadily rising over the last 6 months. We have absorbed a number of increases and must now pass on some to you....Please check prices while ordering this week.
- Please keep in mind that July is notoriously problematic with supply due to the cooler weather and shortage of produce in general. We have again updated our website today with the most up-to-date and accurate information about what will be available for next weeks deliveries...but it is Wednesday and there are quite a few days before produce will be picked and cut. Please excuse us over the next few weeks if indications we have on size of produce is off the mark....or we supply you from a Grower that we do not have listed as supplying us on a particular week. Rest assured we only deal in CERTIFIED ORGANIC fresh produce....that is, produce that has been independently audited to ensure that it is grown in line with the National Standard for Organic Production. Lettuce Deliver is also independently audited to ensure we are selling Certified Organic Produce. We are Certified with NASAA...and can produce an audit trail on all our produce at a moment's notice.
- Like most Winters we are experiencing a milk shortage. We will have enough in total numbers to supply all orders...but we may sub to a brand you have not ordered. If you are wanting the brand of milk you have ordered or nothing at all please advise.
- We strongly recommend the use of our FREE ice packs to be delivered with your order. Just remember to keep them clean and out of the sun so that we can collect them when we drop off your next order. We also welcome the return of all other packaging material that may find it's way into your order, egg cartons, bubble wrap, plastic boxes, etc. Please leave all these goodies in your returning boxes out for our drivers to collect on your next delivery.