This report was updated on Wednesday 25th March 2015 for deliveries 30th March - 2nd April 2015.
Monday - Wednesday Delivery: Order by 4pm Friday for priority supply.
May we take this opportunity to wish all a very Happy and Safe Easter Break. Don't forget that we will not be delivering at all the week starting Easter Monday. You may like to order a little extra this week to get you through the break. Could I suggest you add a pack of the Peak Fresh Bags to your order this week...they are brilliant ! All 'standing orders' and 'if no contact orders' will be sent week starting 13th April unless we are advised otherwise.
Monday delivery: Orders accepted up until 6am Saturday.
Tuesday/Wednesday delivery: Orders accepted up until 4pm Sunday.
Thursday Delivery: Orders by 9.30am Monday.
- It's hard to believe...but Winter is just around the corner ! This was confirmed with the arrival of Brussel Sprouts from Kirkconnell this week ! For anyone who hasn't tried an Organic Brussel Sprout, do so this week. They are really quite different to their conventional equivalents. Just remember to eat them with a little crunch....we like ours lightly steamed with a little butter and a sprinkling of parmesan cheese and sesame seeds. YUM ! Quintin also sent in some Cauliflowers this week... we had thought they had mistakenly ended up with us but were destined for the Easter Show considering their size. So, some customers this week received enormous heads, while others were tiny. Quintin's supply has improved so we will offer only his cauli's next week. These Cauli's are BIG and as with most NSW grown Cauli's are a shade or two off white. Won't be long before Gary and Kathy Harm begin their glamour, Winter Cauliflower & Broccoli season.
- ..change of season always presents some problems with fruit on its way off the list...Valencia Oranges are immediately coming to mind. They have certainly seen better days...and being off the trees for so long, we are now seeing some random pieces of dry fruit. They are also pretty spongy to the touch...as many of you know these Oranges have been off the trees for some time and their age is now definitely showing. Know what to expect. The good news is that Bonita and Les Darrow will begin to pick their early Navelina next week, so they will be available after our Easter break...Imperial Mandarins are also likely to be available the same week.
- Plums, like Blueberries are also at the end of the season and ripening very quickly under the right conditions, so keep an eye on them. Both will finish up in the next 2 weeks or so. Green Gable Peaches have finished this week on a high, which I must say is unusual for peaches in general. I'm sure you will all agree the fruit has been magnificent this season. We will now pick up Peaches from Curtis. Green Gables Radiance Plums are our Produce Special this week. $7.50 for 1kg.
- Grapes are also on their way out and will completely finish within the next few weeks. As we approach the final few weeks of supply you will find the grapes are not as crunchy as you may expect - But I must say the Crimsons were crunchy and delicious this week from 'Don't mess with Mother Nature'. Stems are now beginning to show signs of browning and are not the vibrant green we like to see on our grape stems.
- The good news is that Winter fruits, which have started with the Apples and Pears have been great....Graeme's Gala, Golden Dels & Jonnies are all amazing - as we would expect. Fuji also now available and Pink Lady are only a week or so from starting. Forest Orchard Juicing Apples are also brilliant value, these are the apples that have been graded out as they are a strange shape, have an insect hole, etc. Picked at the same time as first grade, they are definitely good enough for eating at the start of each season.
- Aussie Kiwifruit arrived this week as small and hard as we have ever seen, so we will stay with the Italian fruit for one more week as the Aussie fruit available will not be able to be eaten for at least 2 weeks....
- Smoothie Banana supply is still shaky...we will leave them on the list and hope for the best...but no promises. Banana supply in general is extremely short across the country....hence there is very little supply to the supermarkets, which ultimately results in none to very few bananas becoming available for us to offer as Smoothie. Please make a note with your order if you would like us to supply first quality fruit if Smoothies are not available.
- Ruby Grapefruit, Rockmelon, Cavendish Bananas, Custard Apples, Pears - all varieties, Finger limes and Paw Paw were great this week.
- New to the list this week is Amber Sweet Pumpkins coming from Nature's Haven. These Pumpkins have the colouring and sweetness of a Butternut, but the shape of a Jap/Jarradale. Try something new this week. On Grower Introductory Special price this week - $1.50 per kilo.
- Considering the downpour our local growers have experienced yesterday (Tuesday afternoon), I would like to pre-warn everyone about the likelihood of our locally grown greens being a little dirtier than usual. Remember it is best to wash any soft greens just before use....but all should be inspected on arrival for any damaged leaves which should be removed before storing in the fridge. Jo's pick in the lettuce this week is Mini Cos and Green Oak.
- Spaghetti Squash has increased dramatically this week with most pieces expected to be around 2.5 - 4kg each. Can't remember how to use it ? Check out the News Page this week.
- It is approaching that time again when the Allium Family are thinking about growing again....Don't let these signs of 'coming to life' put you off....Spanish Onions were literally jumping out of their skins this week. We expect this to be less of a problem next week as Onions will come in from Tassie instead of Victoria. Keep your garlic and onions well ventilated, cool area of the kitchen.
- Shane's Red Capsicum deserve a special mention. Fruit is super sweet and juicy. Order with confidence.
- Celery now coming from Helps Rd. These bunches always seem to have problems with browning leaves and at times have the centres cut out on farm. Flavour is good.
- Beans, Corn, Carrots, Lebanese Cucumber, Eggplant, Broccoli (although some heads are huge - lettuce know if you would prefer a cut head over a large head), Cherry Tomatoes - Round & Grape in particular, Dutch Carrots, Snowpeas back on the list this week from Rogers.
- As many of you know, we are experiencing a severe egg shortage. Ian from Clarendon Farm is in the process of moving to a new location...no Hens have been moved at this stage...but simply the movement of sheds coupled with the weather is sending the girls into a flap and they are stressed. At this stage we are not concerned about not having eggs, but we are having to buy in eggs to make up the gap in supply from Clarendon. If you are wanting Ian's eggs or nothing please advise.
- Please keep in mind that we like to pick up the boxes & icepacks we supply in your orders as well as welcome the return of all other packaging material that may find it's way into your order, egg cartons, bubble wrap, plastic boxes, etc. Please leave all these goodies in your returning boxes out for our drivers to collect on your next delivery.