This report was updated on Wednesday 24th August 2016 for deliveries 29th Aug - 1st Sept 2016
Monday - Wednesday Delivery: Order by 4pm Friday for priority supply.
Monday - Wednesday delivery: Orders accepted up until 4pm Sunday.
Thursday Delivery: Orders accepted up until 9.30am Monday.
Some things are worth the wait !
If you find you have missed the Cut-off's simply call our office - of course we will do our best to fill an order for you if we can : )
- Firstly, may I apologise to everyone who did not receive Vannella Buffalo Mozzarella and Ricotta. To say that I underestimated how many of you were wanting these products is the understatement of the week. Plenty available this week - please re-order - Still in New Products section.
- Magnificent QLD Strawberries now only $5.80 each from Pim Mens. Treat yourself ! Don't wait. All it will take is serious rain to affect numbers and see prices climbing. Pim's Salad Mix and Shallots have also been excellent.
- Keep in mind that all Winter fruit - Apples, Navel Oranges, Mandarins, Kiwifruit, Lemons & Pears (now a little wrinkly around the caylic) are all at the end of their season and are best stored in the fridge. If you only like eating your fruit at room temperature, can I suggest storing your fruit in the fridge and then each morning placing the fruit that will be eaten that day into the fruit bowl.
- Pick in Apples is still definitely the Fuji, they are such an amazing variety that they maintain their crunch and flavour pretty much all season. Golden Delicious are now what we consider ‘soft’ and the Granny Smith are feeling a little slippery as they are producing their own natural coating to prolong their life. Rest assured this slipperiness is not wax...post - harvest waxing of apples is not allowed under the National Organic standard for Organic production. Unfortunately Graeme's supply of Golden Dels, Gala, Red Delicious and soon to be Pink Lady has come to an end for another season. For those of you buying Juicing Apples for eating, now is the time to let you know you may have to cut off more than you have been. As we move towards the end of the season nick marks are now turning into full blown sores. Know what to expect.
- Bosc Pears, Hass Avocadoes, Honey Murcott Mandarins, Lemonade Fruit, Tangellos (although on the large side), Cavendish Bananas, Grapefruit - both Red and Yellow, Passionfruit (although wrinkling very quickly) and Navel Oranges have been delicious. Rhubarb back on the list from Rainbow Organics.
- QLD Corn is arriving looking a little grey and dry...this is often the case with QLD Corn - don't let it put you off - the Corn is not old ! Kernels are sweet and juicy - just as we like them.
- Jo's pick in the lettuce this week is Mini Cos. Due to the rain, remember to double wash at your end. There is nothing like grit in your salad !
- Finally, Wild Rocket & English Spinach Bunches are back on the list from Coolibah.
- Sorry about the tease on Eggplant - the stock did arrive...but we discarded more fruit than we were able to use. I think we will give them a miss until quality improves.
- Garlic is at the end of the season and may now arrive in segments with a little discoloration, some are even 'coming to life' with a green shoot now evident. Ironically, as we approach end of season and the worst garlic we have seen - the price increases. This is a direct result of supply and demand - and there is very little available garlic on the market. New season will start end of September. Gold Onions are also showing their age this week as we are only able to get stock from Caffra - K Produce has a week gap in their late season supply. If possible - give Gold Onions a miss this week and add to your cart again week starting 5th September.
- Hawaiian Sweet Potato now available - White Skin with a white and purple flesh. This delicious root veg usually deteriorates at an alarming rate - similar to it's sister Red Sweet Potato. Just a reminder to any newcomers, that Kumera is the standard and most popular of the Sweet Potato varieties. It can be stored for at least a few weeks.
- As many of you know from past seasons, Winter tomatoes are never fantastic and certainly no comparison to full flavoured Summer fruit. We are seeing some random problems, which is not unusual for this time of the year....it is a direct result of the fruit taking so long to ripen. Any major problems lettuce know.
- Celery, Broccoli (produce special this week) and Cauliflower (although now a little smaller in size), Pumpkin - both Jap and Butternut, Red Capsicum, Zucchini, Sweet Potato & Baby Spinach Pre-packs from Coolibah were fantastic this week.
- Please excuse us if the indications we have on size of produce on our website is off the mark at the moment, or we supply you from a Grower that is different to which we have listed on our site..... We have updated our website today with the most up-to-date and accurate information about what will be available for next week's deliveries...but it is Wednesday and there are quite a few days before we will actually see the produce we are selling to you. Rest assured we only deal in CERTIFIED ORGANIC fresh produce....that is, produce that has been independently audited to ensure that it is grown in line with the National Standard for Organic Production. Lettuce Deliver is also independently audited to ensure we are selling Certified Organic Produce. We are Certified with NASAA...and can proudly produce an audit trail on all our produce at a moment's notice.
- For everyone anxiously awaiting the return of Clarendon Farm eggs - we have bad news. Unfortunately Ian has chosen not to proceed with Organic Certification as he is selling enough eggs off farm as 'free range' to satisfy his production : ( We will now look around for a permanent replacement.
- Like most Winters we are experiencing a milk shortage. We will have enough in total numbers to supply all orders...but we may sub to a brand you have not ordered. If you are wanting the brand of milk you have ordered or nothing at all please advise.
- Our runs to the Hills area, Hornsby, Greystanes and Parramatta have changed and may or may not affect the time we deliver to you. Any variation will be within about 1 - 2 hours of your regular delivery time.
- We strongly recommend the use of our FREE ice packs to be delivered with your order. Just remember to keep them clean and out of the sun so that we can collect them when we drop off your next order. We also welcome the return of all other packaging material that may find it's way into your order, egg cartons, bubble wrap, plastic boxes, etc. Please leave all these goodies in your returning boxes out for our drivers to collect on your next delivery.
PLEASE RETURN OUR POLY BOXES and ICEBLOCKS
We pick up all boxes that we deliver in and ask that you keep them clean and dry for a week so that we can swap them with the empty boxes when making your next delivery....If our drivers are not picking up your empty boxes please lettuce know. The Gel pack Iceblocks that we are supplying you are also a considerable cost to our business if they are not returned as are the poly boxes. Please leave out for collection with your next order. We will also collect any packaging material we may supply you including egg cartons, plastic boxes, bubble wrap etc. - simply leave inside your returning boxes.
CREDIT CARD PAYMENTS
As you know, we charge your credit card for your delivery total on the day of or day after your delivery. Please ensure that we have your up to date credit card details and that there are sufficient funds available on the day of your delivery for us to process your payment.